Unearthing Three Hidden Dangers in Your Home
As a mom, you want to make sure your children are always safe and cared for. This often means childproofing your house within an inch of its life. You must secure cabinets, pad corners, and safely stow toxic materials out of arm’s reach. When you’ve covered all the basics, you must then turn your attention to the lesser-known dangers in your home. Several household products may seem harmless at first glance, but they can cause significant injury in the wrong hands. This guide explores some hidden dangers in your home and how to best remedy them.
It may seem contradictory, but smoke detectors can, in fact, be a danger in your home. The main intent of smoke detectors is to keep you and family safe, but they can be quite dangerous when handled incorrectly. There are two main types of smoke detectors: ionization and photoelectric. Ionization smoke detectors present a greater risk, as they contain a radioactive isotope of the chemical americium. When the smoke detector is functioning properly, this doesn’t pose any significant risk. However, if the smoke detector is damaged or becomes detached from the wall, the presence of americium can become a concern.
Try to opt for photoelectric smoke detectors, as they don’t utilize radioactive isotopes. Plus, you can safely dispose of them in your household garbage container-ionization smoke detectors require specialized disposal services due to their radioactive nature.
As with all electrical devices, you should regard extension cords with care, especially when children are around. Extension cords possess a much higher voltage capacity than many people recognize. As such, they present a higher fire hazard than many other electrical devices. Never use extension cords as a primary electrical source, and disconnect items from extension cords when you’re not using them. Additionally, you should never use an extension cord that’s frayed or damaged in any way. Damaged extension cords are more likely to malfunction and spark an electrical fire.
Cleaning the vents in your home may seem like a tedious job, but it’s extremely important for the safety of your family members. Dirty or clogged air vents can severely affect the performance of your home’s heating system, increasing the likelihood of a system failure in the future. Clogged vents can also affect your home’s air quality. Poor air quality can worsen allergy and asthma symptoms for your family members.
Dirty vents aren’t just a concern for your home’s central heating system-they can also affect your clothes dryer. Dirty dryer vents are common causes of house fires, and you should regard them with extreme gravity. Clean out your dryer vents after each use, and get your HVAC vents cleaned and serviced at least once a year.