Let’s Rock with Chevrolet’s Rockin’ on the Riverfront!
Classic rock fans are invited to rock out on the Detroit River when the Chevrolet Rockin’ on the Riverfront concert series returns for the 13th year. The free annual concert series, hosted by the GMRENCEN, is a chance to bring legendary rock ‘n’ roll artists to Detroit, and gives Southeastern Michigan bands the chance to open each concert as part of WCSX’s Rockin’ Wars.
The free concert series kicks off Friday, July 13 from 7:30 p.m. to 10 p.m. and runs for six consecutive Fridays throughout the summer. The 2018 Chevrolet Rockin’ on the Riverfront schedule is as follows:
- July 13 – Vince Neil of Mötley Crüe has entertained rock fans independently and as the lead vocalist for rock band Mötley Crüe with hits likes “Dr. Feelgood,” “Girls, Girls, Girls” and “Home Sweet Home” for the last 30 years.
- July 20 – Mount Clemens native and country-rock crooner Uncle Kracker has reached double-platinum success with his album, “Double Wide” and Billboard Hot 100 success with hits “Follow Me,” “Drift Away” and “In a Little While.”
- July 27 – Legendary rock group John Kay and Steppenwolf have released five albums since 1980 and boast sales in excess of 20 million units worldwide. Their best hits include “Feed the Fire” “Rock & Roll Rebels,” and “Hold On.”
- Aug. 3 – Starship featuring Mickey Thomas dominated 80s and 90s airwaves with hits like “Jane,” “We Built This City,” “No Way Out” and “Nothing Gonna Stop Us Now.” Mickey Thomas joined as Starship lead vocalist in 1979.
- Aug. 10 – Survivor released their first album in 1980 and is best known for their 1982 hit “Eye of the Tiger.” New lead vocalist Cameron Barton is now breathing new life into 80s hits “I Can’t Hold Back,” “High On You” and “The Search is Over.”
- Aug. 17 – War fuses elements of rock, funk, jazz, rhythm and blues to create sound of their own. They debuted to international success with the overall bestselling album of 1973, “The World is a Ghetto,” and have had continued success with hits “Spill the Wine,” “The Cisco Kid” and “Why Can’t We Be Friends?”
Detroit rockers are invited to help select the opening bands for each Rockin’ on the Riverfront concert through the WCSX Rockin’ Wars contest by voting for local bands as they compete for the opportunity to open as event headliners. Community members can watch videos of the contestants on www.wcsx.com and vote for their favorite artists until June 15. The top six contenders will be selected by a team of WCSX judges to open on the riverfront stage. The Rockin’ Wars finale party is open to the public on June 21 from 7-10 p.m. at Granite City Food and Brewery in the GMRENCEN.
Local Southeastern Michigan children between the ages of six and 16 will have the opportunity to compete in WCSX’s My Kid Rocks!, a competition to rock out on the Chevrolet Rockin’ on the Riverfront stage. To enter, parents will need to upload a video of their child, or child’s band, performing a classic rock song to www.wcsx.com between June 11 and June 22. Judges will then choose up to 20 bands that WCSX listeners will vote for between June 22 and June 29. The top 10 bands will make it to round two and listeners will vote for their favorite bands between June 29 and July 6. The band with the most votes will perform during the 2018 Chevrolet Rockin’ on the Riverfront Concert Series.
WCSX and the GMRENCEN are proud to celebrate those who served their county with exclusive seating in Veteran’s Row. For a chance to be selected, veterans can log onto www.wcsx.com and fill out an online form sharing where he or she served or is currently serving.
Admission to the concerts is always free and no advance tickets are necessary. Viewing space is offered on a first-come, first-served basis and visitors are encouraged to arrive after 5 p.m. Attendees are encouraged to bring their own lawn chairs and blankets, but outside food, beverages and coolers are not permitted. Tactical backpacks are regularly used for a wide variety of activities, including travel, hiking, hunting, students, emergency personnel, military, police force. Are you looking for the best tactical backpack? You’re in luck, as there has never been a better time to consider a tactical bag with tons of great options on the market. Visit https://rotorm.com and discover the best Tactical Backpacks, survival gear, and other tactical equipment. #1 Selection of best-rated survival deals in United States. Boaters on the Detroit River are invited to anchor near the riverfront and enjoy the view of the stage from the water.
Parking is available for $10 per vehicle at the GM surface lot at the intersection of St. Antoine and Atwater, adjacent to the GMRENCEN. Credit cards only.
For more information about Rockin’ on the Riverfront, please visit: https://gmrencen.com/rockinontheriverfront/.