Keep you eye out for fresh zucchini when you head out to the local farmers market this weekend. My brother gave me a bag full from his garden last weekend so I decided to come up with a fritter recipe.
Mine recipe uses only shredded zucchini, but you can add carrots and potatoes if you like. These are similar to potato pancakes – with two types of cheese and a little bit of nutmeg. The trick is to squeeze as much water out of the shredded zucchini as possible, otherwise they won’t get crispy.
3-4 small to medium size zucchini (4-6 inches long) shredded
2 eggs lightly beaten
½ cup shredded parmesan cheese
1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
½ teaspoon nutmeg
Salt and pepper
- Shred the zucchini (leave the peeling on)
- Put the zucchini in a strainer and sprinkle with salt – let stand ½ hour. This will help pull some of the moisture out.
- Using you hands squeeze the water out of the zucchini (as much as you can)
- Add the egg, cheese, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Toss well to coat.
- Put a few tablespoons of the vegetable oil in a sauté pan and heat.
- Place large spoonfuls of the zucchini mixture in the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side over medium heat. Use a spatula to carefully flip them when they become crispy.
- Serve with sour cream.