January is National Thank You Month. Makes sense; it just happens to fall right after holidays where lots of gift giving happens all over the globe. Few things mean more than a hand written thank you note to convey real appreciation for a gift you received, making this a great skill to teach your kids early in life!
A written thank-you tells the giver that you appreciate the gift because through the time you take to say write, stamp and mail the hand-written note.
Writing a note takes little effort, and you consider the following items in any note you send.
- Greeting – “Dear Aunt Maeve,”
- Express gratitude for the gift. – “Thank you so much for the beautiful necklace.”
- Discuss how you are going to use the gift. – “I have a wedding I am attending and the necklace you gave me will be perfect with the blue dress I am wearing!”
- Mention the past and talk about the future. – “Thank you making the trip from CA to MI! I know it can be tough traveling so far and I appreciate you making the trip! I hope we can get together again very soon!”
- Grace. – “Thanks again for such a thoughtful gift.”
- Regards. – “Love, Courtney”
Your thank you note doesn’t need to be long, but it does need sincerity.
Take the time to say thank you (with a note) the next time you receive a meaningful gift and the giver will never forget it.
As social as we are, I still think hand written thank you notes are a beautiful personal touch. I still write them!
[…] proper way to say, “Thank you,” is with a card and it only takes a few lines, a few minutes and a stamp. This simple gesture will mean a lot to the gift giver because you […]
[…] proper way to say, “Thank you,” is with a card and it only takes a few lines, a few minutes and a stamp. This simple gesture will mean a lot to the gift giver because you are […]
Thank you’s are great! My daughter has gotten into the habit of providing Thank You Cards to ppl that after any special event she knows to grab her crafts and make personal Thank You cards. Everyone loves them. It’s so funny how two small words can make someones day bigger!