I have never been a big fan of fish tacos that have one big piece of fried fish in them. So when I came across this recipe by Katie Brown that called for sautéing the fish, I had to try it. I have since made this dish many times and never get tired of it. It was originally a Taco Salad but I figured it would work just as well wrapped in a soft flour tortilla. Give it a try and see what you think. This recipe serves 4.
For the fish:
2 pounds cod – I use frozen cod from Costco
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 teaspoons brown sugar
½ teaspoon each salt and pepper
Olive oil for sautéing
For the topping
1 cup salsa – I use a can of mild Rotel
Juice of two limes
½ can of black beans, rinsed and drained
2 green onions thinly sliced
¼ cup chopped cilantro
1 avocado, pitted and diced
Sour Cream – optional
- Rinse the fish and pat it dry. Set aside
- In a bowl. Combine chili powder, brown sugar and salt and pepper. Rub into fish on both sides.
- Heat a little oil in a large skillet, sauté the fish until it flakes easily. Remove from heat. Break in the fish into chunks.
- In a bowl, combine the salsa, lime juice, black beans, green onions, cilantro and avocado.
- Divide the fish evenly among the tortillas. Top with the salsa mixture, shredded lettuce and sour cream if desired.