Christmas Sugar Cookie Recipe
It’s that time of year – cookie bonanza! These sugar cookies are soft and kind of puffy, just the way we like them. You can have the kids help cut the cookies out and with the frosting and decorating.
Sugar Cookie Recipe
- 1 cup butter – softened
- 2 cups of sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 5 cups flour (sometimes I have to add more if the dough is too sticky)
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- Cream the butter and sugar in a large bowl until well mixed.
- Add eggs and then milk slowly (mixture will not be really smooth).
- Mix all the dry ingredients together in a separate bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients into the butter/sugar in about 3 batches. If the dough seems sticky add a little more flour.
- Seal the bowl with Saran wrap and refrigerate for two hours.
- On a floured surface roll out the dough – don’t make it too thin. Use cookie cutters to cut out.
- Bake at 350° for about 8 minutes – until the edges just start to brown. I use parchment paper to keep the bottoms from browning too much.
For the frosting I use about 2 cups of powdered sugar, one tablespoon softened butter, and two tablespoons of milk. I add flavoring, usually lemon, almond, or orange, and a little food coloring. This recipe is not an exact science – it’s too runny just add more powdered sugar (you will want it kind of stiff but spreadable). It will harden on the cookies so that you can stack them and they won’t stick together.
Serve & Enjoy!