Here is a yummy way to use up some of the zucchini that are starting to appear by the hundreds in the garden. It’s also a fun way to sneak a veggie in to a dessert, but I’m not saying this is exactly a health food – it’s still cake! The cake has a lot of chocolatey rich flavor with some great spices.
1 cup packed brown sugar
½ cup white sugar
½ cup butter or margarine (softened)
½ cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
½ cup buttermilk
2 ½ cups flour
¼ cup unsweetened cocoa
2 teaspoons baking soda
½ teaspoon allspice or ground cloves
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon salt
2 ¾ cups shredded zucchini, give or take a little (I leave the skins on and use approximately three six inch zucchini)
1 ½ cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- Grease a 9 x 13 inch baking pan
- Cream the sugars, butter and oil.
- Add the eggs, vanilla and buttermilk and mix well.
- In a separate bowl combine the dry ingredients and mix well
- Mix the dry ingredients to the creamed sugar and butter mixture
- Gently stir in the shredded zucchini
- Pour in to prepared baking pan
- Sprinkle the mini-chocolate chips on top
10. Bake for 45 minutes or until done
I sometimes top with whip cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon – or you eat it straight up.