In order to run safely and comfortably in the winter, it is essential to have the right gear to not only stay safe, but also to enjoy your winter runs. After getting all the gear, it took me a coupla of weeks to mentally prepare for the cold. I think that was the hardest part! After finally getting over the thought of being cold and gearing up in my cold weather gear, I went and ran 3 miles and it was AWESOME!
Here are the items I suggest you have in order to enjoy running in the cold winter months where it snows and has freezing temperatures:
- Lip Balm– Protecting against the elements is a must! I use Dermalogica Climate Control lip balm and I swear by it’s ability to moisturize dry lips! I have used many lip balms and this is by far my favorite!
- Head Gear– Sometimes I wear a beanie to keep my head warm, but sometimes it’s really cold and I want to protect my ears as well, so I purchased a headband that covers my ears for added protection.
- Upper Body Gear– I purchased the Nike Pro Combat Dri-Fit mock top that I wear under a North Face jacket and if it’s really cold, I wear another fleece jacket over the Dri-Fit mock and under the North Face jacket. The mock is made to keep you warm and pull the sweat away from your skin.
- Lower Body Gear- I purchased the Nike Pro Combat Dri-Fit pants and wear those under a pair of boot cut workout pants. They keep my legs warm and I don’t feel bogged down by thick sweats.
- Moisturizer– I have experienced very dry skin since I moved from Southern California to Michigan. Before running, I put some Dermalogica moisturizer on my face to protect it from the cold air.
- Foot Gear– Scared of slipping and sliding on the snow and ice? So was I until I was recommended YakTrax Pro. They slip over your regular running shoes and give you traction on the icy sidewalks and other icy surfaces so your feel confident and enjoy your run.
- Gloves– I have a great pair of North Face gloves I wear when running. Sometimes I’ll get a bit warm and when that happens, I just clip my gloves onto my jacket and keep going.
- Music– Some people enjoy taking in the sounds around them as they run. I like to let my mind wander and sing along to tunes as I run. My favorite running iPhone application is Mix Tapes by Ryan Seacrest. There are tons of different types of music “mix tapes” to listen to. While running, I like to listen to Today’s Soft Rock or Today’s Hits. The music gets me going!
Now that you know what to wear when running in the freezing cold, there really is no reason not to run in the winter.
Now, gear up and RUN!!!!