Pumpkin Cranberry Upside-Down Cake
This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertisers. All opinions are mine alone. #SplendaHoliday #CollectiveBias
Thanksgiving is only a few days away but there’s still time to add a new dessert to your holiday gathering. This recipe for Pumpkin Cranberry Upside Down Cake combines two of my favorite ingredients that just shout out Thanksgiving – Pumpkin and Cranberry! Our family gatherings usually feature both pumpkin (in some form) and cranberries, so, why not combine the two and enjoy them together.
We usually have several different pie options for Thanksgiving, but this year I wanted to try something a little different. Don’t get me wrong—I looovvvee pies—lemon meringue is my favorite, but sometimes you just need something different. I know a woman that made so many pies for her family gatherings that she ran out of pie tins. No worries – she just baked them in the bottom of mixing bowls, it worked beautifully.
Here are a few bonuses to this recipe- it tastes great, it looks beautifully festive, it doesn’t require a coveted pie tin and it uses a SPLENDA® sweetener as an alternative to full sugar. You can find tips and recipes for swapping out full sugars for SPLENDA® sweeteners on the SPLENDA® SWEET SWAPS™ website. The SPLENDA ® SWEET SWAPS™ initiative is about making smarter, balanced decisions for a healthy lifestyle. I used SPLENDA® Brown Sugar Blend in my recipe from the sweetener aisle. We thought the recipe turned out great!
You will need the following:
8 x 8 square baking pan
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 1 Cup SPLENDA® Brown Sugar Blend – Divided (firmly packed)
- 2 ½ cups fresh cranberries
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 Tablespoons no-sugar added applesauce
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground clove
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Optional: whipped topping
- Preheat Oven to 350º
- Cut a piece of parchment paper to fit the bottom of the 8 x 8 inch baking pan.
- Spray the pan with cooking spray and place the parchment paper in the bottom.
- Melt the 3 Tablespoons of butter in a small saucepan.
- Once melted add ½ cup of firmly packed SPLENDA® Brown Sugar Blend and stir until well blended.
- Spread this mixture in the bottom of the baking pan.
- Next pour the fresh cranberries on top of this mixture and set aside.
- Mix the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, spices and salt) and set aside.
- In larger mixing bowl combine the pumpkin puree, egg, oil, apple sauce and SPLENDA® Brown Sugar Blend and mix well with a hand-mixer.
- Pour the flour mixture into the pumpkin mixture and blend well with hand-mixer.
- Carefully spread the mixture over the top of the cranberries.
- Bake for 28-35 minutes at 350º – until skewer comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool for at least ten minutes.
- Place serving platter on top of pan and carefully invert.
- Remove parchment paper.
- Top single servings with whipped topping if desired.
I found a great selection of SPLENDA® products at Walmart.
You can find more great recipe ideas on the SPLENDA® Pinterest Board. What are your favorite desserts to make for the holidays?