Ideal Summer Time Dessert – Ice Cream Pie!
I am a member of the Collective Bias® Social Fabric® Community. This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper amplification campaign for #CollectiveBias and its advertisers. All photos, recipes and opinions are my own. #EatMoreBites
Memorial Day is a day set aside to remember loved ones, it’s also a day that many families get together to celebrate the beginning of warmer weather. This year, if the weather cooperates, we’ll get the grill out and eat outside, just like we do every year. Hot Dogs, chicken, baked beans and coleslaw just to name a few of the delicious dishes that show up at the party. I usually bring chocolate cake for the dessert, but this year I came up with a new recipe for Ice Cream Pie. The pie has a special ingredient – TWIX® Bites. I crushed the unwrapped bites and used them to make the crust of this delicious pie. I also rolled the ice cream balls in them for a little extra crunch! It’s the perfect mix of crunch and smooth, chocolate and vanilla, plus you can make it ahead of time and store in the freezer.
My goal with a dessert is to first – make it taste great and second – to make it look good. Based on family and friends review of this pie the other night I met both of my goals.
The pie is pretty easy to put together – but you do have to plan ahead a bit for the freezing time. I popped into Walmart to pick up some of the new TWIX® Bites and found a demo in process. I had a quick taste test (two thumbs up) and headed to the candy aisle to pick some up.
I thought the pie was at its best after it sits out for 15-20 minutes to soften up a bit. The crust was my favorite part!
1 Large Bag of TWIX Bites – divided (3/4 cup for crust and ¼ cup for coating the ice cream balls)
1 Cup Graham Crackers crushed
6 Tablespoons of butter
1 Quart of Vanilla Ice Cream
1 Pint of Chocolate Ice Cream
Purchased Fudge Sauce (Ice Cream Topping)
- Use a large Ziploc bag to crush the graham crackers – I used a rolling pin.
- Cut the TWIX Bites in half and then place in food processor to create crumbs. You don’t have to make it really smooth. You can just rough chop them with a knife.
3. Melt the 6 Tablespoons of butter
4. Mix the 1 cup of Graham Cracker Crumbs, the 3/4 cups of TWIX Bites and the Butter
5. Mix gently until all crumbs are moist
6. Press the crumb mixture into a 9 inch pie pan
7. Bake 8-9 minutes at 350 degrees – don’t over bake
8. Set baked crust aside to cool completely
9. Scoop 10-12 vanilla ice balls (the number of balls depends on how big you make them). I used my hand to smooth the surface a bit. Roll them in the remaining TWIX Crumbs. Then place the ice cream balls in a plastic container and pop them in the freezer for about 20 minutes to firm them up.
10. In the meantime – soften the chocolate ice cream and spread a layer about 1/2 inch thick into the pie pan.
11. Place the ice cream balls in the crust and drizzle with the fudge sauce. I microwaved the sauce for 10-20 seconds and put it in a ziploc bag, snipped the corner off and drizzled it across the cake.
12. Wrap and store in the freezer
13. Let pie soften for 20-30 minutes before serving – it makes it a lot easier to cut!
You can choose the flavors of ice cream you like – I thought about using coffee ice cream but figured the kids wouldn’t like it. Vanilla and Strawberry would be delicious and it would be so pretty!
You can find a great coupon coupon on Social Twist to receive $1.00 off when you buy two 2.83 oz. or larger bags OR $3.00 off when you buy two 6 oz. or larger bags by clicking here – you’ll be glad you did! They are delicious!!