Bedtime Math Written By Laura Overdeck ~ Book Review & GIVEAWAY!!!!
Growing up, Math was ALWAYS my least favorite subject. After teaching Elementary School for almost 8 years in grades 3 – 5, Math was ALWAYS one of my least favorite subjects to teach. Honestly, my students always excelled in Language Arts/English/Writing, but normally fell about average in Math. Now, I am a Mommy of an adorable, eager to learn, 6 year old, stubborn, young lady! I knew, my bad attitude towards Math needed to be shielded for I did NOT want her to inherit that for me! Math skills, at this age can be so critical to starting a positive foundation that I was looking for all sorts of ways to implement math skills during the day! So, when I had the opportunity to read & review the book, Bedtime Math, written by: Laura Overdeck, I immediately responded with a YES!
Let me first start by telling you a bit about the author, Laura Overdeck. She has a BA in astrophysics from Princeton University and knows numbers. Laura began nightly math problems with her two older children. When her 2-year-old started hollering for his own math problem, she knew she was on to something, and Bedtime Math was born. The idea is simple, but it has the potential to make a powerful impact—one math problem at a time. When not playing with numbers, Laura pursues her other interests, which include chocolate, wine, and Lego Mindstorms.
Now, a bit about this amazing book, entitled Bedtime Math! Her mission was to make Math a fun part of kids’ everyday lives.
Everyone loves to read bedtime stories to kids, but what about doing math? Many generations of Americans are uncomfortable with math and numbers, and too often we hear the phrase, “I’m just not good at math!” For decades, this attitude has trickled down from parents to their kids, and we now we have a culture that finds math dry, intimidating, and just not cool. Like I said before, I ‘sometimes’ think this way too!
However, Bedtime Math wants to change all that. Inside this book, families will find fun, mischief-making math problems to tackle—math that isn’t just kid-friendly, but actually kid-appealing. With over 100 math riddles on topics from jalapeños and submarines to roller coasters and flamingos, this book bursts with math that looks nothing like school. And with three different levels of challenge (wee ones, little kids, and big kids), there’s something for everyone. This book has made numbers fun, and change the world, one Bedtime Math puzzle at a time.
I thought that I would attempt to start this with my 6 year old daughter. She loved it SO much we ended up completing more than 1 problem every night last week. We completed problems pertaining to silly food instances – she thought it was silly and even told her friends about the book! Now, one of her closest friends wants to borrow the book or call us before bed and complete math problems! What’s funny is, she has the option to complete Math on-line over the summer. After the first night, I asked her if she wanted to do MORE Math the next day – and she begged me! I SWEAR! This book even helped her to have a greater interest in Math problems and solutions. I, personally liked how the book makes you think – and not in a super easy way either – more like a higher level thinking – even for the wee ones!!!
In Bedtime Math, Overdeck seeks to change all of that. By pairing more than one hundred kid-friendly stories with age-appropriate math problems, the book provides the groundwork for a new bedtime ritual that will make math fun and accessible for both children and parents. The guidelines are simple:
- Don’t sweat it. Bedtime Math hopes to be part of your daily routine, but if you’re having one of those days that started with the toilet overflowing, don’t worry. Bedtime math problems are here when you want them, when you’re ready.
- It’s not official. Bedtime Math isn’t an official “curriculum.” It’s just a fun chance for kids to do math in their heads, so someday when they’re shopping and everything’s 20% off, they can figure out the sale price before the store closes.
- Take it by the horns. While Bedtime Math loves mental math, it’s totally cool to use paper and pencil when needed. And if your child wants to tackle a harder BMP, go for it! You can walk your kids through the steps if they’re stuck, and they’ll be excited to wrestle hard with something and get the answer.
- Simmer down. The BMPs aim to be fun and lively, but they won’t keep your kids from falling asleep. In our experience, math can get kids to sit still, focus, and quiet down.
Just a few last bits of information.
– BEDTIME MATH – goes on SALE TODAY – June 25, 2013 for ONLY $14.99
– This Nonfiction Book is most suitable for AGES 3 to 8.
Now, the FANTASTIC news! Detroit Mommy Bloggers is giving away 2 COPIES of Bedtime Math!!
Please sign in AND complete the ENTRY form BELOW through RaffleCopter!!!