Easy Fleece Hat Instructions
If you looking for a fun and easy way to stay warm try making one of these super easy hats! Last winter we made several – even a matching set for my 3 nieces. I usually can find a remnant of fleece that is large enough to use. I just throw them in the laundry when they get dirty.
SUPER EASY ONE-SEAM FLEECE HAT
You will need ½ yard fleece – this should make 2 hats.
- Cut a rectangular piece of the fleece 16 inches wide by 21 inches long – cut it so it stretches the long way. This will be the way it goes around your head. You may end up having to make more or less than 21 inches depending on head size. My son is 6 and this fits him well.
- Fold the piece in half with the wrong sides together.
- Stitch the sides ( the shorter sides – approximately 16 inches ) together starting about 3 ½ inches from the top edge and stopping about 2 ½ inches from the bottom. Both the top and the bottom will look unfinished at this point (this is because of the fringe and the bottom band).
- Turn the hat (tube) right side out. Finish the seam on one end of the hat – this will be the bottom and will have a more finished look when you turn the band up.
- Make the fringe – on the other end that is not sewn all the way – take scissors and cut strips down into the fabric to make the fringe – SEE PHOTO. You can make the fringe however wide you want it – I usually do about ¼ – ½ inches. Do this all along the top edge.
- Cut a strip of fabric from the scraps – about 4-5 inches long and ¼ inch wide. Gather the fringe end of the hat and tie it tightly where the fringe meets the hat.
- Turn up the bottom band and YOU HAVE A WARM FUZZY CUTE HAT!