Local optometrists with the Michigan Optometric Association (MOA) will provide no-cost eye and vision care to area low income residents during Volunteers In Service In Our Nation (VISION USA) Day this Saturday, May 8.
VISION USA is a program that provides basic eye health and vision services free of charge to low-income, uninsured individuals and their families. The program is provided by participating MOA member optometrists who donate their services.
The no-cost VISION USA Day exams will take place at the following offices in southeast Michigan:
- Family Eye Care Associates of Clinton Township: 42550 Garfield Rd. Clinton Township, Mich. 48038. Call (586) 263-9708 to schedule an appointment.
- Family Eye Care Associates of Eastpointe: 21701 Kelly Rd., Eastpointe, Mich. 48021. Call (586) 779-4200 to schedule an appointment.
- Shelby EyeCare Associates: 48187 Van Dyke, Shelby Township, Mich. 48317. Call (586) 739-9550 to schedule an appointment.
- Marston Optometry PC of Livonia: 32037 Plymouth Rd, Livonia, Mich. 48150. Call (734) 421-5454 to schedule an appointment.
Appointments and pre-qualification are required to receive the exam. Individuals may obtain an application online at www.aoa.org/visionusa.xml.
To be eligible for a VISION USA eye exam, residents must meet the following criteria:
1. Have no vision insurance (this may include Medicare/Medicaid)
2. Have income below an established level based on household size
3. Not have had an eye exam within two years
4. Have a job or live in a house where there is one working member
“We know that area residents have been hit especially hard by the economic downturn,” said event organizer and MOA member, Michael Wallace, O.D. We hope that providing free vision care and eyeglasses can help individuals as they look for new jobs, provide for their families and weather this difficult time.”
To locate a Michigan Optometric Association doctor, visit the MOA website at www.themoa.org and click on the Find an Optometrist link at the upper right of the homepage.